Tuesday 20 October 2015

First two weeks of my EVS Check-in adventure


These two weeks went by so quickly… I think I still can’t believe that I am here and I will be for the whole year!


Even though I had a lot of time to prepare mentally for this challenge, I still can’t process it because of the amount of things that are going on.
View from our terrace :)

I came to Lisbon on the 4th of October. The next day I already started a Portuguese course and getting to know my new environment and people that I will work with. I was privileged enough to visit Lisbon twice before moving here, but still this time was different, way better.
elevador da lavra
First days were full of bureaucracy, but it went better than I imagined. As I know how hard it is to solve any kind of problem at the offices in Poland, I am very positively surprised with the nice attitude and kind smile of the Portuguese officials. I managed to get the tram card, the fiscal and registration number in the first week. I opened my Portuguese bank account as well :)

More fascinating and less sweaty than fighting with bureaucracy was the Portuguese course. Every day for two weeks I had 4-hour lessons with 3 other students (another evs volunteer, a big fan of chocolate – Nico, our big Spanish helper Paula who is an intern and Marianna- lovely Czech girl that decided to move in Lisbon). I knew way before coming here that the language is gonna be a big challenge for me but our lovely teacher Rute make all hard things a lot easier :)
Learning by doing - Portuguese shopping :)
These two weeks were also a good time to get to know the place I am going to work at, my team and start planning future tasks. I am more than excited for this year and can´t wait for all the future challenges in Check-In!
Dream team: me, Paula, Nico and Toninho :)

Oh and of course finally I can enjoy the proper coffee :)
Café A Brasileira 

Written by Olga




No comments:

Post a Comment